Bone Marrow Stem Cell Hair Loss Injections
Kalos Hair Transplant is proud to offer hair loss treatments using advanced stem cell therapy. The use of regenerative medicine in hair restoration is the most revolutionary non-surgical approach available. Although stem cell therapy to treat hair loss involves a sophisticated scientific process, it is also completely natural, safe and minimally invasive. By injecting your own stem cells into balding areas of your scalp, a natural regenerative process is triggered, one that can restore your hair and your confidence.
Dr. Benjamin Stong is a double board certified facial plastic surgeon who is the first in Atlanta to offer stem cell injections to treat male and female pattern hair loss. He is one of few surgeons in the country to use bone marrow stem cells in hair restoration. Compared to fat stem cells, the stem cells derived from bone marrow have a higher concentration of active stem cells. Thus bone marrow has a 100% bioavailability and is considered an ideal tissue to harvest stem cells.
At Kalos Hair Transplant, we are proud to adopt stem cell based regenerative medicine into our practice. It is a fascinating science that has enormous potential for hair restoration. Bone marrow stem cell injections can be used as standalone procedure or combined with PRP treatment and/or hair transplant surgery for enhanced results.
Hair Restoration Using Bone Marrow Stem Cells
The use of bone marrow stem cells to treat male and female pattern baldness involves a Bone Marrow Aspirate and Concentrate (BMAC) procedure. Bone marrow stem cells are carefully extracted from the pelvis, specifically the iliac crest that contains large amounts of red bone marrow. This is a quick, in-office procedure under local anesthetic. Once the bone marrow stem cells are harvested, they are directly injected into the scalp.
With its high bioavailability rate, bone marrow stem cells are fully absorbed into the tissues of the scalp where they can activate dormant hair follicles and stimulate new hair growth. Stem cells are unspecialized progenitors that have the ability to repair damaged tissues and differentiate into a variety of different types of tissue. Their differentiation is guided by the microenvironment they are injected into. Recent studies indicate that hair loss does not involve an actual loss of hair follicles and hair stem cells. However, they do need to be signaled and induced into their active growth phase to reverse hair loss and hair thinning. Bone marrow stem cell injections have the ability to accomplish this and treat hair loss in an innovative and natural way.
To learn if you are a candidate for bone marrow stem cell injections to treat your hair loss, please contact Kalos Hair Transplant today. We offer a full menu of the latest surgical and non-surgical hair restoration techniques, and we tailor your treatment plan according to your specific needs and concerns.
Bone Marrow Stem Cell Hair Loss Treatment FAQ
- Why is bone marrow such an ideal tissue to get stem cells from?
- Bone marrow contains a rich source of adult stem cells, or mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) that are 100% bioavailable when directly injected into the scalp. Fat stem cells, although they contain a higher number of stem cells, are only considered about 10% bioavailable due to modern preparation techniques. Stem cells derived from fat are only active and released from portions of the fat graft that don’t survive. During preparation, the vast majority of fat grafts do survive and therefore the adult stem cells in that portion of the fat graft are not released, which limits their effectiveness as hair follicle stimulating stem cells. With bone marrow, all of the harvested stem cells are active and directly injected into the intended targeted tissue to produce their desired effect.
- What are the benefits of bone marrow stem cells over fat?
- Apart from the profound improvement in bioavailability compared to fat as mentioned above, bone marrow stem cells contain hematopoietic stem cells as well as MSCs. Hematopoietic stem cells are the only long-term precursor cells with the ability to renew themselves for an entire lifespan and differentiate into other tissue types or vessels. For this reason, the presence of hematopoietic stem cells represents another major benefit in using bone marrow stem cells over fat stem cells in terms of effective, long-lasting hair restoration.
- What other hair loss procedures is bone marrow stem cell treatments combined with?
- Just like fat stem cells, bone marrow stem cell treatment can be used as a standalone procedure or combined with other hair restoration procedures to enhance results. Bone marrow stem cell injections can be used in conjunction with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and/or hair transplant surgery.
- Where is the bone marrow harvested from?
- During a Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC) procedure, the bone marrow stem cells are harvested from the illiac crest, either the anterior or posterior portion. Approximately 60 mL of bone marrow is aspirated. This procedure takes less than 15 minutes and can be done in the office under local anesthesia. The iliac crest contains large amounts of red bone marrow and is commonly used as a prime source for bone marrow stem cell therapy in other medical fields.
- What is a BMAC procedure and what is the purpose of the procedure?
- Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC) is an advanced form of regenerative therapy, in which blood is withdrawn from the patient’s bone marrow and concentrated in a specialized device. Stem cells are harvested by aspirating bone marrow from the posterior or anterior iliac crest. Bone marrow, a central component of all bones, produces red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets, and houses a large concentration of hematopoietic stem cells.
During a BMAC procedure, a cannulated needle is carefully inserted into the bone area. For use in hair restoration, approximately 60 mL of bone marrow is aspirated with a manual syringe. After a filtration and centrifuge separation process, the bone marrow stem cells are ready to be injected into the scalp. The BMAC concentrate contains a significant amount of stem cells and platelets, which carry a stronger capability of regenerating tissues than using PRP alone. PRP is almost always injected along with bone marrow stem cells for improved additional benefits.
- How long have bone marrow stem cells been used in hair loss procedures?
- The use of bone marrow stem cells to treat hair loss is a brand new procedure based on recent significant findings and advances made in the last decade. The evolving science behind stem cell based regenerative therapy offers an exciting promise for patients who suffer from hair loss. Although not yet widely used, stem cells derived from bone marrow offer valuable advantages over fat stem cells. Unlike fat, they are 100% bioavailable and are not dependent on the release of active stem cells from loss of fat cells. Whether you are choosing bone marrow stem cells as a standalone procedure or to enhance and stabilize your hair transplant results, it is considered one of the safest forms of hair restoration available since it is solely reliant on your body’s own tissues and cells.