Excess hair on a woman’s face, chest, and back is called hirsutism. It’s a condition that can severely affect your self-esteem and cause you to seclude yourself from other people.
During female puberty, the ovaries start producing a mixture of both female and male sex hormones. A balanced ratio of hormones will result in a post-pubescent female having hair on her legs, arm-pits, and pubic area. Hirsutism occurs when the hormones aren’t rationed correctly, and an excess amount of male sex hormones (androgens) are present. This causes dark, coarse hair on parts of the body that are typically seen in males.
Possible Causes of Hirsutism
If you have hirsutism it could be caused by one or more of the following:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
- A family history of certain conditions like the two mentioned above
- Cushing’s Syndrome
- An androgen-secreting tumor in the ovaries or adrenal glands
- Taking certain medications like Danazol, systemic corticosteroids, and Prozac
- Your ancestry. Women of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and South Asian ancestry are more likely to develop hirsutism without an identifiable cause
What Can Be Done About Hirsutism?
Dr. Stong and his expertise can help pinpoint the cause of your excess hair and find you a solution.
If it’s a side effect of obesity, your treatment could be to lose weight. It could also be a matter of taking you off of one medication or putting you on a new one.
If you have stubborn excess hair or are victim to being genetically predisposed, due to your ethnicity, then you may want to consider laser hair removal in Atlanta.
Whatever the solution is our expert team has you covered so don’t wait any longer. Gain back your confidence today!
Posted on behalf of Kalos Hair Transplant
5670 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE, #910
Atlanta, GA 30342