Microneedling Hair Loss Treatments
For patients who are balding or are genetically predisposed to hair loss, there is a full menu of non-surgical treatments available, including those that reverse the hair thinning process as well as prevent or delay future hair loss. Microneedling is among these advanced hair restoration options. Kalos Hair Transplant understands the importance of providing a comprehensive approach to hair loss in order to meet each patient’s unique needs and to provide the most effective, natural and long-term solution to hair loss.
Microneedling is a quick, in-office procedure that requires no downtime. It involves brief microneedle punctures to the surface of the scalp. This triggers your body’s natural wound healing response. Research studies indicate that would healing stimulates the production of proteins that are responsible for new hair follicle development. In turn, people with male pattern baldness and alopecia can find significant improvement with microneedling treatments.
Microneedling can be used as a standalone procedure or to boost the absorption of topical hair loss treatments. In many cases, however, patients choose microneedling in combination with platelet-rich plasma treatment to enhance the regenerative process that promotes healthy hair growth. Microneedling and PRP therapy can also be used to maximize hair transplant results.
Microneedling combined with Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
For ideal results, Dr. Stong combines microneedling with the powerful platelet-derived growth factors and bioactive proteins of Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP). PRP is known for its ability to promote wound healing and tissue repair and hair growth. Therefore, when combined with microneedling, the regenerative process that occurs within the scalp tissues and hair follicles can be maximized and enhanced. PRP can be injected or applied topically during a microneedling treatment on the scalp.
Microneedling is also used to make topical hair loss treatments more effective. Microneedles, similar to the non-invasive needles used in acupuncture, penetrate the top layer of the scalp. This allows a much greater absorption of topical scalp treatment products. In fact, when used as a pre-treatment, microneedling can increase absorption by 5 times or more. It provides the additional effect of stimulating scalp healing and hair growth.
To learn more about Microneedling Hair Loss Treatments from a renowned hair transplant plastic surgeon in Atlanta, please contact our office today.
Microneedling Hair Loss Treatments FAQ
- What is microneedling?
- Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that involves the use of a special device that contains fine, tiny tip needles, similar to those used in acupuncture. The needles are used to puncture the top layer of the skin or scalp to create a controlled skin injury. Although it is most commonly known for skin rejuvenation to induce collagen growth, it can also be used as an effective hair restoration procedure. When microneedling triggers the wound healing response on the scalp, powerful growth factors and proteins are stimulated within the hair follicle that can produce hair growth in balding individuals. Microneedling is considered a better therapy for younger patients with beginning stages of balding compared to older patients with more advanced male pattern baldness. It can be used as a standalone procedure, to increase absorption of topical treatment product or alongside platelet-rich plasma for enhanced hair growth and hair density.
- How can microneedling and PRP work together for hair loss treatment?
- Combining microneedling with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) creates a powerful combination in terms of hair loss treatment, one that is non-invasive, safe and based on your body’s own regenerative capabilities. While microneedling externally triggers your body’s wound healing and tissue repair response on the scalp, PRP represents an internal stimulant that maximizes this regenerative process. Within the scalp, the regenerative process involves the stimulation of dormant hair follicles that are present in balding individuals. With the stimulation and addition of growth factors, platelets and proteins, additional healthy hair growth can be restored and the hair shaft can grow thicker, improving hair density.
- How does microneedling boost topical hair loss treatments?
- Microneedling has been proven to increase the absorption of topical hair loss treatment products. In fact, some studies report that absorption can be increased by up to 5% or more. By using microneedles to penetrate the scalp skin at a 0.75mm depth, the active ingredients in the topical application can pass through the protective outer layer of the scalp (stratum corneum), which is composed of dead skin cells, oils and keratin protein. This layers often blocks sufficient absorption of active molecules in hair loss products.
In addition to enhancing the absorption of topical treatments, microneedle therapy also stimulates natural repair pathways to support scalp healing and stabilize healthy hair growth.
- Does microneedling require maintenance treatments?
- Hair loss can be thought of as an ongoing process. Although, transplanted hairs are considered permanent, the remaining hairs on the scalp will continue to be affected by androgenic hair loss. Consequently, to maintain a healthy head of hair as long as possible, ongoing treatments will usually be recommended. There are a variety of procedures and treatments available. Microneedling is considered a less expensive treatment that can produce durable results when performed periodically over time.
Microneedling may result in temporary scalp soreness that should diminish within 48 hours. Patients are allowed to return to normal activity immediately following the procedure.